Thursday, June 18, 2009

Shelter Cats

***NOTE*** There are my own opinions and I know others might disagree with me but we are entitled to our opinions. My opinions by no means reflect the opinions of the shelter and the employees there. ***NOTE***


All cats at our shelter are in danger of being euthanized. Some get out via an adoption and some get rescued. If neither of these happen then they get put on a Urg
ent list and are given one more chance to get rescued and if no ones steps up to help they are put to sleep.

As we get to know each cat we learn more about them, some we learn to love and then it becomes hard when we know they are on a list. There are times when I might view past photos of cats that didn't make it out and I start to hate the way our society is.

If only more people would learn to have their pets spayed or neutered and taken care of. Some people consider their pets an object that can be tossed away when they are tired of and some consider them trophies that are only good as long as the pet st
ays pretty and young. It is so sad to see an older cat being brought into the shelter because for the most part they never get out alive. Last week we have a lovely 10 year old Calico get adopted and it was one of the first in months that was old that got adopted. The lady that adopted her said she always adopts older cats and loves them and keeps them until they die of old age naturally and then she looks for another one. That is great.

Other people bring their cats in because they cannot afford to feed them. Remember if that ever happens there are places including shelters that are willing to help with food so that pets can be kept. I remember a story of one couple that said they could never give up their pets. They said when they both lost their jobs last year they would go to the local city parks and take dirt out of the sand pit for their cats. They usually purchased good healthy food but during the hard times they purchased whatever they could afford. Now that they have jobs they are happy they still have their pets and still love them.

As I have time and energy I'll add some cats that I feel are more than special and really need to find that perfect home. Please enjoy their photos and stories. I am not a great writer and at times don't say what I really mean and I say it so screwy that no one but me understands. Believe my my husband questions my mind all the time.

My husband and I have been volunteering at the shelter since 2004. We both prefer cats. There has been a lot of changes since we first started volunteering at the shelter. Most of the changes are for the best and one upcoming change will be the new shelter being build that will be such a great improvement over the 30+ year old shelter that is being used now.

City of Irving Animal Shelter
100 N Briery Rd
Irving TX 75061
972-721-2256

Hours of business are:

Mon-Fri 11am to 6pm
Saturday Noon to 5pm
Sunday Closed

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TX225.html

Sabra & Mike